The Felixstowe Forward initiative was established on 1 April 2015 and was created by the three sponsoring local authorities: Suffolk Coastal District Council, Felixstowe Town Council and Suffolk County Council.
The aim of Felixstowe Forward is to develop a collective approach to tackling the town’s key challenges and opportunities. Engagement with a wide range of business and community groups is central to developing a plan of action which will improve the economic, social and environmental wellbeing of Felixstowe. Felixstowe Forward consists of a small team which is headed up by Helen Greengrass, the Felixstowe Change Director.
The work of the team is guided by the Felixstowe Forward Sponsoring Group which consists of local government, business and community representatives. It is envisaged that during its first 12 months the Sponsoring Group will evolve to be even more representative of the local area. However, it is acknowledged that you cannot get everyone around the table and therefore a vital part of the Change Director’s role will be engagement with the broad range of business and community groups which exist within the town.
Among its aims, Felixstowe Forward will work in the heart of Felixstowe to:
- Oversee the development and delivery of further economic growth;
- Build upon its reputation as a dynamic and prosperous town;
- Seek and support new developments and projects;
- Promote Felixstowe as a high quality destination town;
- Preserve and promote the heritage of the town;
- Continue to improve the town centre and seafront trading rejuvenation;
- Support and develop an enterprise and entrepreneurship culture;
- Support a coordinated and targeted marketing of the town; and,
- Support and contribute to the skills, education and employability of young people.