Guide to organising a street party

The Government has produced a guide to how to hold a street party in your local area that sets out the things you need to think about and the information you will need to let us know:

Please read this guide in conjunction with the advice given on this page and don't forget you can always contact the Council's Licensing Team for further help and guidance.

What sort of events does this apply to?

The guide is for the sort of street parties that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and other public events are listed below:

Street parties: Other public events:
For residents/neighbours only. Anyone can attend.
Publicity only to residents. External publicity (such as in newspapers).

In a quiet residential road or street.

In buildings, parks etc.
Self-organised. Professional/skilled organisers.
Normally no insurance. Insurance needed.
No formal risk assessment needed. Risk assessment common.
No licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling is involved. Licence usually needed.

Small, private street parties generally do not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, you may need a temporary event notice which is a type of temporary permission which costs £21 and covers events for less than 500 people.

Please bear in mind that the Council's Licensing Team, Environmental Health Team and  the police must receive copies of the completed temporary event notice at least 10 working days before the day of the proposed event, for a standard TEN, and environmental health or the police may object if they have concerns.

Larger public events attracting more people will require a different process. If would like to hold a larger public event, please contact our Licensing Team on 01394 444802 or email licensing.scdc@eastsuffolk.gov.uk for further information and advice.

Road closure requests

The system to request street closures for outdoor parties across Suffolk is managed by Suffolk County Council. The system means that closures for civic parades and Remembrance Service events, as well as street parties, which take place on non-through roads, will be free of charge. For all other events there will be a charge.

More information on how to apply for a road closure can be found on the Suffolk County Council website:  http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/roadworks/apply-to-close-a-road-for-an-event/.

Public liability insurance

You may also want to consider public liability insurance, depending on the size and type of your event. The Streets Alive website gives more advice about taking out insurance.

Tips on keeping food safe at your event

When you're making food for large numbers of people it's especially important to keep food safe. The NHS Choices website has some practical tips on food preparation, cooking, cleaning, storing along with catering for parties and events.

Further information and advice

For further information and advice please contact:

Suffolk Coastal District Council
Melton Hill
Suffolk IP12 1AU

Telephone: 01394 444802.
Fax: 01394 444510.
Email: licensing.scdc@eastsuffolk.gov.uk.

Organisers planning larger events should consult with their area Safety Advisory Group at an early stage. The purpose of the Safety Advisory Group is to enable the relevant regulatory and response agencies to consider events that have implications for public safety.