Do I need planning permission?

Prior notification of a home extension - the Government has introduced legislation to remove the need for planning permission for some rear home extensions and introduced a new process.

Pre-application planning advice

Suffolk Coastal, in line with many other local authorities, has introduced charging for providing pre-application planning advice, effective from 1 October 2014. Follow the link below for details of how to apply and the charges:

Guides to common projects

The Planning Portal provides guidance on a wide range of common household projects and covers both planning permission and building regulations rules:

Interactive houseYou can explore the Planning Portal's Interactive House for guidance on permitted development and many common householder projects:

Planning practice guidance

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has created a planning practice guidance website where you can view the National Planning Policy Framework and relevant planning practice guidance as well as different categories of guidance:

Air conditioning units, biomass boilers and woodburners

Please contact your local planning officer to check to see if planning permission is required for the installation of air conditioning units, biomass boilers and woodburners. You should also contact the Council's Environmental Protection and Building Control teams to check that all regulations are complied with.

Listed buildings

Any works to a listed building that affect its character either externally or internally normally require listed building consent. This includes, for example, replacing windows with new windows. Drawings submitted with an application need to be accurate and detailed. Supplementary Planning Guidance 13 provides important information and advice to anyone who might own, or may be involved with proposals to repair, alter or extend a historic building.

You can apply for planning permission online or make a paper application:

Supplementary Planning Guidance

Supplementary Planning Guidance provides guidance to the Council's policies on issues such as household alterations and extensions, shopfronts, signs and advertisements, conservation areas, repairs, alterations and extensions to historic buildings and the use of redundant buildings in the countryside.

Lawful Development Certificate

If you wish to obtain a formal determination about whether your proposal would be lawful without needing any further planning permission you can make an application for a Lawful Development Certificate for the proposed use or development. You are advised, however, to seek an informal opinion from the Council about whether permission is required prior to making such an application. You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate online or make a paper application:

What you can expect from us

We aim to reply to written enquiries within 28 days. Some enquiries may be dealt with more quickly if they are straightforward although some may take a little longer if, for example, additional research, consultation or a site visit is required. Follow this link to find out about the service you can expect when we deal with planning applications and the standards we work to.

We would also welcome any comments about the way we provide our planning service and any suggestions on how we can further improve our service. You can email your comments to d.c.admin@eastsuffolk.gov.uk or write to the Head of Planning Services at the address below:

Head of Planning Services,
Suffolk Coastal District Council,
Melton Hill,
Suffolk IP12 1AU.