Warm Homes, Healthy People
Suffolk's Warm Homes Healthy People project helps vulnerable people and families make their homes cheaper to heat.
The project can provide the the following help for eligible residents in Suffolk:
- Fuel payments paid directly to your heating supplier
- Boiler or heater stopped working? Warm Homes Healthy People can lend you electric heaters and assess you for financial assistance towards the cost of repairs or replacements
- Do you own or privately rent your property? Warm Homes Healthy People can arrange for an independent surveyor to visit your home and discuss energy efficiency improvements that could make a real difference to your heating bills. The project can also access grants to help pay for insulation and basic draught proofing
Is your household income below £17,000 and your savings below £5,000? And do you meet one of the following:
- Are you aged over 63 or do you live with children under 5?
- Does anyone living with you have a long term health condition or disability?
If the above applies please call our Local Rate Helpline on 03456 037 686 for free advice with:
- An emergency fuel payment
- Making your home warmer as well as more energy efficient
- Help with getting your home properly insulated and draught proofed
- Emergency boiler and heating repairs
- Loan of temporary heaters in an emergency
- Cheaper oil prices and access to interest free loans via Eastern Savings and Loans
If you are a GP wishing to make a referral please email: email@example.com
Other ways to get help
In the first instance contact your energy supplier. They offer a range of services to older or vulnerable customers and people on low incomes, including cheaper energy deals and free or subsidised energy efficiency measures.
All gas or electricity companies offer a Priority Service Register to customers who are older, disabled or have a chronic illness.
- Benefits - If you are concerned about the cost of heating your home you may be eligible for various benefits and schemes.
- British Gas Energy Trust - Find details of trusts and funds to help with energy and water bills
- Charis Grants - can help people who are struggling to pay their energy charges and other household bills and costs
- Community Action Suffolk Community Buying Ltd is a countywide oil-buying syndicate which enables members to buy heating oil at reduced prices
- Energy Saving Trust - offers impartial advice on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills
- Home Heat Helpline - Get energy-saving tips, factsheets and advice from their website or call 0800 33 66 99
- Keep warm, keep well is a government information leaflet for people over 60, low-income families and people living with a disability. It includes advice on getting prepared for the cold weather and financial help to heat your home
- Lofty Heights - A loft emptying service for elderly and disabled people to allow them to take advantage of the free insulation schemes on offer
- Winter are you prepared? - Essential information about staying safe and healthy this winter
- Winter Wrapped Up - Tips from Age UK on how to keep warm and well
Anyone who has a vulnerable relative or neighbour is urged to help them find out more about what support and assistance might be available to them.